We are very excited to announce the launch of our new Common Core and ELLs resource section! It includes Common Core classroom videos, interviews, and lessons from Albuquerque, New Mexico; updated information about language proficiency standards, assessment, and instruction; and a collection of multilingual parent resources.
The project was made possible by the American Federation of Teachers’ Innovation Fund, with additional funding from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
Here are some highlights from the section:
- Introduction to the Common Core: This section provides an overview of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) initiative, as well as links to the standards themselves, recommended resources, and helpful introductory videos from the Hunt Institute and the Teaching Channel.
- Classroom Videos: These videos feature teachers who participated in our Common Core in Albuquerque, NM project planning and delivering lesson plans for ELLs in grades 1, 4, and 8. All videos are accompanied by the related lesson plan documents, teacher reflection interviews, ELL strategies, and expert interviews.
- Lesson Plans: The lesson plans featured in the above videos were created by teachers in Albuquerque in collaboration with Dr. Diane August, and they target ELLs’ language and literacy needs. These plans are available through a zip file or online links to individual documents. They include:
- What Does the Common Core Mean for ELLs?: This resource section covers topics including information on language proficiency standards, assessment, research, policy, and interviews with teachers and researchers about implementing the new standards with ELLs.
- Common Core in Your School District: This resource section includes information on the role of ESL teachers in the Common Core, as well as ideas about ELL classroom strategies in language arts and math. We also include information about the Next Generation Science Standards and ELLs.
- For Parents: This collection of materials features a number of multilingual tip sheets and guides for parents about the Common Core and parents’ role in the new standards.
We would love to hear your feedback on our resource section, as well as ideas for new materials or questions that you have about the Common Core.